Technology Thrives in Greenville, SC
BECK is proud to be a part of Greenville’s fast-growing economy
View All Posts
By Ryan Beck
By Ryan Beck
Ryan is our brand evangelist with a passion for hiking, folk pottery, humanitarian causes and well crafted software.
Where Southern Charm Meets Innovative TechnologyGreenville’s reputation as a viable alternative for high-tech entrepreneurs has bloomed in recent years and we are quickly developing a reputation as the Silicon Valley of the Southeast. At BECK, we are proud to do business in such a fast-growing, hub of innovation.
The Jewel of the Upstate of South CarolinaGreenville, South Carolina is situated along the Interstate-85 corridor, halfway between two of the largest cities in the Southeast - Atlanta, Georgia and Charlotte, North Carolina. BMW Manufacturing Co. and Michelin North America anchor a cluster of manufacturers that benefit from proximity to the area's strong transportation networks - featuring the I-85 and I-26 corridors, the South Carolina Inland Port and nearby Port of Charleston, three airport facilities and two major commercial rail lines - that solidify the region's global connectivity.
- 63 Miles (1 hour 15 minutes) to Asheville, NC
- 100 Miles (1 hour 45 minutes) to Charlotte, NC
- 145 Miles (2 hours 25 minutes) to Atlanta, GA
- 210 Miles (3 hours 30 minutes) to Charleston, SC
Greenville Weather & ClimateGreenville’s moderate climate offers a full change of seasons, with an average annual temperature of 60°F. Greenville’s temperate weather also means it is one of the few places in the South known for milder summers.
- Average annual temperature of 60°F
- 221 Sunny days per year
DemographicsGreenville’s low cost of living, wide variety of living environments and moderate climate contribute significantly to the city’s rising reputation as one of the best places to live. Greenville’s annual cost of living is 93.9% of the national average (C2ER, 2015 Annual Average). The Upstate also boasts one of the top housing markets in the nation. According to the National Association of Home Builders, 78.7% of homes sold in the Greenville metro area during the fourth quarter of 2015 were affordable to families earning the area’s median household income. Moreover, the area’s diversity of housing options that range from a bungalow in a traditional neighborhood to a brownstone just steps off Main Street, present an eclectic and pleasing mix of housing choices befitting any budget or personal preference.
- City of Greenville has a population of 62,888 and a GSA population of nearly 1 million
- Median Household Income for Greenville County is $49,349
- Median age for the city of Greenville: 35.8
- % of population with Bachelors degree or higher: 42.8%
- Civilian labor force 414,400
Quality of LifeSome of the best healthcare services and facilities in the Southeast are located in Greenville. The area is served by two premier healthcare systems with campuses and facilities throughout Greenville County: Greenville Health System and Bon Secours St. Francis Health System. Both systems provide residents access to superior, affordable healthcare options. Greenville is also home to Shriners Hospital for Children®, one of the nation’s leading centers for pediatric orthopedic care.
- 90,000 higher education students in the Upstate of South Carolina
- Cost of living index is 93.9% of the national average
- 13th out of 14,000 school districts in the nation for the number of national board certified teachers
- Ranked as one of “America’s Best Downtowns” by Forbes magazine
- #8 of “America’s Best Main Streets” by Parade Magazine
- #6 of “Top Ten Places to Live” by Relocate America
- Upstate SC is home to 23 Colleges and Universities
Arts & EntertainmentGreenville boasts the Peace Center for the Performing Arts, Fluor Field at the West End and the Bon Secours Wellness Arena, as well as a number of museums, private galleries and theater venues, making it the premier cultural and entertainment center of the Upstate.
- 100 Best Art Towns in America – John Villani
- 72% Hotel Occupancy Rate
- “The South’s Tastiest Towns” – Southern Living Magazine
- Falls Park was named “Top 10 Best Parks in the US” by Trip Advisor
- Greenville is Among the Hottest Vacation Destinations – CBS this Morning
- 5.8 Million Annual Visitors to Greenville County
- America’s largest collection of Italian Baroque Paintings – Museum and Gallery at Bob Jones
- Flour Field at West End was named Ballpark of the Year by Ballparks.com
- 107 Restaurants in Downtown
- 1000+ hotel rooms in downtown
Business Climate and InnovationGreenville offers a qualified available workforce, custom tailored business incentives and world-class job training within a business friendly environment and strategic location. The City’s pro-business leadership along with economic development, educational and private sector partners ensure that Greenville is the place for business to grow and prosper. The vibrant and thriving community is a magnet for recruiting and retaining talent. The ability to attract and support small local companies to major international corporations is the result of an uncommon cooperation between city government and the private sector. Greenville is a recognized leader in developing public/private partnerships and its entrepreneurial ecosystem is designed to provide area businesses a competitive advantage in the global marketplace.
- #7 “Automotive Manufacturing Strength” – Business Facilities
- #1 Micro City of the Future – fDi Intelligence
- #13 Best Cities for Young Professionals – Forbes
- #3 Competitive Utility Rates in SC
- #6 Emerging Biotech Hubs – Business Facilities
- #3 America’s Strongest Job Markets – Bloomberg BusinessWeek
- Google’s eCity Award for “Digital Capital of South Carolina” – Google
- $1 Billion Annual visitor expenditures
- 5.8 Million annual visitors
- Top 50 Cities for Global Trade – Global Trade Magazine
- One of the lowest corporate tax rates in the nation (5%)
- Top Destination for foreign direct investment – Global Location Trends
- #3 Top States for doing business – Area Development
- #5 Pro-Business Regulatory Environments – Forbes
- #5 for Globalization – New State Economy Index
- #4 on the American Dream State Ranking Report
- $30 Billion in export sales in 2013 – SCCommerce.com
- #2 State for High-Tech Job Growth – US Chamber of Commerce
- #4 State for Research & Development Investment – US Chamber of Commerce
- Home to the NEXT Innovation Center and several collaborative work spaces
EducationGreenville is served by Greenville County Schools (GCS), the largest public school system in the state and the 44th largest school system in the country—offering award winning teachers and nationally recognized schools and programs. GCS is the highest achieving district in the state and ranks 13th in the nation out of 14,000 school districts for the total number of National Board Certified teachers. GCS was awarded National Accreditation from the AdvanceED Accreditation Commission, recognizing the school system as a high quality school district with “some of the finest schools the review team had ever seen.” GCS' quality teaching is supported and enhanced in modern school facilities equipped with cutting-edge technology, such as Promethean Boards with Internet access, laptop computers, iPads and computer labs where students connect to resources both within the District and around the world. STEM-focused (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) curricula drive instruction in schools across the district, and innovative approaches to project-based learning in various academic areas provide opportunities for students to explore real-world problems and challenges.
- #13 in the nation for “National Board Certified Teachers”
- 13 National Blue Ribbon Schools for academic achievement
- 90% of Greenville County high school graduates attend college
- K-12 International Baccalaureate (IB) program
- Home to The Fine Arts Center
- Home to the Sterling School and Charles Townes Center for academically gifted students
- Roper Mountain Science Center
- 9 of the districts 11 magnet academies are located in Greenville City
- Home to Clemson University, CUICAR, & Furman University
- USC Darla Moore School of Business was ranked #1 International MBA Program by US News and World Report
- Nation's only Smithsonian affiliated children’s museum
Parks & RecreationMountains, lakes and more parks and trails surround Greenville—providing nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts with easy access to endless recreational opportunities. The Blue Ridge Mountains, so close they provide a picturesque backdrop to Greenville’s skyline, offer breathtaking views and amazing adventures, from rock climbing to kayaking. Lake Hartwell, Lake Jocassee and Lake Keowee are all located within just a short drive, making fishing and boating favorite pastime activities. Residents and visitors can also enjoy whitewater rafting on the Chattooga River, one of the premier rafting rivers in the eastern United States, or the Nantahala River, located in the Nantahala National Forest in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Greenville’s ideal location also provides a variety of options for relaxing day excursions and weekend getaways. Several ski resorts, including Sugar Mountain and Beech Mountain, are located nearby. Some of the Southeast’s most popular coastal destinations, like Charleston, Hilton Head Island and Myrtle Beach, are also within a few hours’ drive from Greenville.
- #17 Quirkiest Towns by Travel & Leisure
- #5 Best Cycling Town in America – USA Today
- “Prettiest Southern Streets for a Stroll” - USA Today
- #9 “America’s Top 100 Golf Communities” for the Cliffs Communities - Travel and Leisure
- Best Bike Destination Runner Up – Outside Magazine
- “Playful City” – KaBoom
- 263 City Event Days – every year (Farmers Market, Downtown Alive, Friday Night Jazz, Artisphere, Euphoria, Fall for Greenville)
What's Up Next?